As the days get closer to my next competition, I thought I would talk about what the designs on my blog and website mean to me. Those pink petals you see are known as cherry blossom. Cherry Blossoms are so beautiful and it's even more special that it has a very significant meaning in my life.
Growing up in Vancouver, British Columbia I would see a wide variety of these beautiful trees on the streets and city parks. During that time, I did not know the symbolism or meaning of cherry blossom except for the variety of colors and how they made me feel every time I see them in full bloom during the Spring. Vancouver is known to rain 9 months of the year and it does get depressing after a while. I use to take the train from the suburb to work when I didn't feel like driving and it was awful having to wait in the pouring rain.
One day, I had missed my train and the train station is close to a famous shopping district. I decided to stop by the Louis Vuitton store. I might have been looking for a purse or something but by chance, the last limited edition LV umbrella with cherry blossom design was waiting for me. I did not hesitate to consider the price tag so I bought it because I wanted to feel happy using an umbrella with cherry blossom scattered all over.
Before my competition journey, I was dealing with chronic stress which I believe magnified my back pains. Some might think I was one of the luckiest women in the world but little did they know I was living in a grave. I lost myself and the material possessions that surrounded me made me feel miserable. I was told that I was responsible for my own happiness so I decided to seek it for myself not thinking that I would be punished for making this ultimate decision. My determination to live a simple and happy life resulted in me being bullied, humiliated, threatened and assaulted. Certain person(s) did everything they could to try and break me. From my experience during my teenage years, I knew that going to the gym and lifting weights would be my saving grace to help me cope with stress. I believe that if I had not set goals to pursue my dreams, there is a probability I would have ended up dead or in a mental hospital. As the weeks passed and I started noticing changes in my body, my mental outlook and rarely felt any back pain, I knew I was heading the right direction. I allowed my heart to lead my decisions and I focused on myself. My determination to meet my goals allowed me to forgive and forget. I am very proud to have been able to meet my goals and also face another adversity with a strong heart. I followed my heart and it lead me to the happiness I feel now.
I had recently gotten married in April of this year. My husband and I planned our wedding and I wanted to have a theme so I did my research on what cherry blossom means in the Asian culture. I did decide to use this theme for our wedding. I learned that there are two different significant meanings for cherry blossoms from two different cultures and how ironic that it ties perfectly into my life.
In China, cherry blossom is a very significant symbol of a women's power and beauty as well as feminine sexuality.
In Japan, they compare this beautiful fragile flower to life. This symbolizes the transitory of life and ties into the Buddhist teaching that all things in life will pass in time and it is very noble to not get too emotional about an outcome or situation.
It's funny how life is, I have a picture of myself taken next to a Cherry Blossom Tree in early 2006 at a time when I was trying to figure a way to turn my life around and be happy. Now three years later, the meaning of the cherry blossom in both cultures has led me to where I am today.
To my family and friends hold tight to the things that motivate you, make you happy and always have a positive attitude even when things seems at its worst... it will pass in time.
Regardless of what happens in my life, I will always feel blessed that I followed my heart and the Cherry Blossoms :-)
February 2006

This is awesome Khay! Such a powerful story! ;)
ReplyDeletexoxo,
Michele D'Angona
love this post khay! <3 Great pic of you Beautifull!
ReplyDelete